Saturday, December 26, 2009

Is it ok if I drained my oil but could not replace my oil filter but went ahead and poured in new oil?

I just did this for my 2003 saturn L200. I wanted to know if this is a huge mistake and what are the repercussions in doing so.





Also can I CHANGE the filter if there is already NEW oil in the automobile?Is it ok if I drained my oil but could not replace my oil filter but went ahead and poured in new oil?
Modern multi-weight motor oil is designed with detergents that clump contaminants in the oil together to be caught by the oil filter (hence motors without oil filters, ie: certain lawn equipment, uses non-detergent motor oil). Once the oil is in the oil filter it isn't going anywhere. If you have an oil filter with a high amount of filtration medium and a large number of internal pleating (like a Mobil 1 or Purolator Pure One filter) you will be okay. Just a note on the L200, though: most Saturns have a timing chain that has tension maintained by the oil. These timing tensioners are VERY sensitive to oil condition thus Saturns are one of the only late-model vehicles on the road that still require a severe-service recommended 3,000 mile oil change interval. If I owned a Saturn with a timing chain I would ensure that my oil is always properly filtered and maintained to prevent timing chain failure. If you need any reassurance to my answer, there's a search bar at the top of your screen. Just type in ';oil sensitivity saturn timing chain tension'; or something of that sort.Is it ok if I drained my oil but could not replace my oil filter but went ahead and poured in new oil?
Its not a huge problem, however it should probably be dealt with. If possible drain the new oil and save it, then put in the new filter. After making sure the drainplug is in securely and the filter is only hand tight but the new oil that you originally saved back into the car. Running the new oil threw the old filter wont get the oil ';dirty'; the partials trapped in the old filter will stay in the filter, not become suspended in the ';new'; oil.
that is not good for that particular filter it is made of paper/cotton like material, i have done the oil change on that particular model and you should definitely change it. it is so easy to do and you can access it right in the front of the engine bay.
as long as you did,nt start it then you can change the filter last. if you changed the filter the last time then it can wait until the next time as long as your oil is,nt filthy.
Start fresh with fresh oil, and a fresh filter. The oil has already circulated around the old filter, thus it is dirty. Why didn't you purchase a new filter when you bought the oil?
It'll be fine.





Some equipment companies actually change filter every other oil change.





It's a six year old car.


Change the filter when you get a chance.
Not bad but your recontaminating the oil. So its pointless. Basically you need another oil change.
you can change your oil filter every other time and it will save you a lot of money and you can't change the filter with oil in the car
1) Yes.


2) No problem.


3) Yes, just be sure to top off the engine oil lost in the filter.


4) No.
Do another oil change soon and be sure you change the oil filter this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment