Saturday, December 26, 2009

How am you supposed to get a grip on this oil filter cup wrench?

I bought it from Halfords.





It has 14 flutes, is 76mm, 3/8D, and it fits perfectly and tightly on to my car's oil filter.





Problem is... it's got a square bit at the top, but what is supposed to go in there so I can get something in to turn it?





I've got a breaker bar (1/2), and a load of sockets. I really need to get some leverage going cause my filter is really tight on. That's why I got this cup wrench.





Please help!





Thanks.How am you supposed to get a grip on this oil filter cup wrench?
This is purely an old trick that can work,seeings the answers you have are good ones,use a sheet of sandpaper around the filter it gives so much more grip and leverage Be luckyHow am you supposed to get a grip on this oil filter cup wrench?
put a ratchet in the square hole and turn it
The handle from your socket spanners goes in the hole.
The square hole is for the breaker bar. It may be 3/8'; drive so you'll need theat size or a 1/2 to 3/8'; adapter%26gt;
Take it back and just hammer a screwdriver through the filter and turn it alwaays works for me.
The socket handle or bar will normally have a 1/2 inch drive - just use that - no sockets. The filter tool IS the socket! If the 3/8D you mentioned is the drive hole at the end, use a 3/8 drive or adaptor,
I just spear through the old oil filter with a hammer and a big screwdriver and turn it like that - it can be a bit messy but it never fails.





I'd take that thing back to halfords for a refund mate !

No comments:

Post a Comment