Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Does my oil need to be drained if i want to change my oil filter?

Was working on my car, doing a oil change, realized I don't have a oil filter wrench to take out the filter, I already replaced the oil, and decided i was going to change the filter once i got a wrench but will i be able to change it if their is oil in my engine?Does my oil need to be drained if i want to change my oil filter?
just remove the filter and you will loose between 1/2 qt. to a qt. of oil when the filter comes off, just replace what you lose.Does my oil need to be drained if i want to change my oil filter?
sure you can. You may lose about a quart of oil.





If you don't have a filter wrench and it is a spin-on oil filter, I have used a screwdriver and rammed it into the filter and then spun it off using the screwdriver for leverage.





If you have a large pair of channel locks, you can use them also.





good luck.
Ya but in a bind you can just hammer a punch or screwdriver through it to get it off. I had to do it to get one off one time, and they only need to be hand tight going back on because they seem to get more tight with heat, I never use a filter wrench anymore.
u dont have to drain but u will lose some oil. cant u twist it off by hand with a towel on it? if not, u can always use a channel lock plier.
well it dont have to be drain to remove filter oil stays in oil pan only a quart or less will be in filter just remove it no problem

No comments:

Post a Comment