Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Should there be oil in my oil filter when I change my car's oil?

When I changed the oil in my 1997 Honda Accord, there was no oil in the oil filter-none. Should I be concerned?Should there be oil in my oil filter when I change my car's oil?
Sometimes if the engine has not been driven for a day or two there will be very little oil in the filter.All the oil will have been down in the pan.Now if the engine has been driven then there would be oil in the filter.Should there be oil in my oil filter when I change my car's oil?
This will depend on where the oil filter sits in the system.





If it sits vertically then really there should be oil in there.





If however is screws horizontally on to the side of the block the oil might have drained down when you drained the sump.





Either way if you had been driving any distance with no oil pumped up into the system the oil pressure light would have been on and more to the point lots of very expensive sounding noises would have been coming from under the bonnet.





HTH





R



DEPENDS ON 2 THINGS


1 IS THE FILTER MOUNTED HORIZONAL


2 DOES THE FIKTER COME W/A CHECK VALVE IN IT?


YOU SHOULD ALWAYS HAVE A LITTLE OIL IN IT (HORIZONAL MOUNTED TYPE BLOCKS) BUT MOST CARS THAT HAVE THESE TYPES OF FILTER PLACEMENTS DESIGNS THEIR FILTERS W/CHECK VALVES IN THEM,TO PREVENT DRY STARTS(NO OIL IN THE FILTER WHEN ENG. IS STARTED)I KNOW MAZDA,TOYOTA,FORD,%26amp;CHEV.HAS SUCH FILTERS(OEM).YOU MIGHT WANT TO CALL YOUR DEALER %26amp; ASK WHAT TYPE FILTER IS COMPATIBLE W/THE OEM OR EVEN AN AUTOPARTS STORE.NOT A GOOD IDEA TO START YOU ENG.W/O OIL CIRCULATING INSTANTLY.
Yes,the oil filter should be totally full when you take it off. If your car was making a clinking sound before you changed it, then it is possible you might have warped the head.
yes there should be oil in the filter is theres oil in the engine if so could be a bad or clogged oil pump need to get fixed asap or you could do internal damage to your engine burn up rings bearings etc dont drive it
I'd have thought so- every oil filter I've changed has had oil in it that promptly runs up me sleeve!





Was there oil in the engine?






Yes, always makes a mess of my steering rack.
Yes

No comments:

Post a Comment