Monday, April 26, 2010

What motor oil / filter should I use for a 98 Explorer XLT? It's a V8, AWD?

Gonna change my own oil for once in my life but what oil do I use? I called Schucks and they told me they would tell me when I came in to buy it haha, jerks!What motor oil / filter should I use for a 98 Explorer XLT? It's a V8, AWD?
10W-30. That is the one MOST cars use. EXCEPT HONDAS/Toyotas, VW,.





It also depends on the climate of where you live.What motor oil / filter should I use for a 98 Explorer XLT? It's a V8, AWD?
Use a 30 weight oil and a fram filter # PH2 That is your best bet. and change it every 3,000 miles.
10w30 oil and a ford explorer oil filter(which fits other models) but i dont know the code for it.
Your owner manual should have said info ASchucks should have info too..depends on where live how much driving/ on road or off/ regular oil or synthetic the later i recommend lasts longer about every 5000 miles before a refill and change oil and filter...usaully there a book in stores saying what oil filter,air filter to use for what model etc. if live some where hot ask about additves to protect oil like restore...or mystrey oil? (red and black) label.
Good for you! I have a video on YouTube and my homesite you may find helpful.





The specifications for oil are in your owner's manual...Some Ford's use a 5w20 but I don't recall right off if it went as far back as 1998. It IS important to use the right weight on today's engines, so take the time to look it up.





Any brand name filter should do just fine...Fram comes to mind.
if you want a motorcraft filter it is either an FL1A or 820S.I use Valvoline 5 w 30 in my 99 expl.110K with no leaks or other problems.also use castrol 5w30 in my 95 neon.230k and no leaks and does not burn oil.change your oil every 3000 to 3500 miles.
If you want to use a high-quality, extended drain synthetic, check out Amsoil. Their EaO11 oil filter and synthetic oil will let you go to once a year oil changes. Got this info at my website: http://www.number1synthetic.com


by clicking on 'Amsoil Online Product Guide' and typing in your year, make, model, and engine. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment