Monday, April 26, 2010

What's the best oil and oil filter for my Toyota Celica?

I've been using Fram High Mileage filters w/ Castrol High Mileage 5w-30 oil for my 99 Celica with 121,000 on it. Is a Fram a good filter, or should I go with the genuine Toyota oil filters. Also, what is the best type of motor oil, or is what I am using pretty good (I change it every 3000)?What's the best oil and oil filter for my Toyota Celica?
Your oil is fine. I don't have personal experience with Fram High Mileage. You're going to hear people complain that Fram uses a cardboard piece in the filter. That's true only for the standard orange Fram filters, I believe. If you have been using Fram High Mileage for a while and have no problems with it, keep using it if you like.





I personally use Purolator Premium Plus filters for my Asian vehicles. But since you like better quality filters, I recommend Purolator PureOne.





EDIT: If you use synthetic oil like Mobil1 or Mobil1 Extended Performance, the oil should be changed every 5,000 miles. 7,500 miles is too long for an oil change interval, and good filters will last up to 6000 miles, in my opinion, unless it's for a European car or a big truck with a large filter. Synthetic blends are better than conventional oil but worse than fully-synthetic oil. I use a synthetic blend, and I am not impressed. But I prefer it to conventional oil.What's the best oil and oil filter for my Toyota Celica?
The safest bet is to stick with the Toyota OEM oil filter in my opinion. A good synthetic blend motor oil is what I'd recommend such as one available from Mobil Oil Corp http://www.mobiloil.com However that's sort of a waste of good oil if your going to change it every 3000 miles. Any standard petroleum based oil is fine if your changing your oil that often. The advantage in going to a synthetic blend motor oil is extending the oil change interval to 7500 miles which still meets your Toyota manufacturer's power train warranty requirements (even though it has expired). In addition, synthetic oils protect your engine better especially at the higher oil temperatures modern engines are subjected to.
It would be better off to use the Toyota filter reason for this because the Toyota filter has what they call a release valve to hold oil in the filter so initial start up there is oil going to the top of the motor instead of all the oil being in the pan.Also with synthetic oil you need to watch out once you use synthetic oil you have to continue to use synthetic.

1 comment: